Don't Be In A Hurry
Happy New Year! We love a new year — the feeling of a fresh start, a clean slate, a new beginning. You can't help but get caught up in it. Everywhere you turn, people are talking about New Year's resolutions, setting goals, and making a vision board. There is no lack of opportunities for you to get involved in a New Year’s challenge. You can do a yoga challenge, a jump rope challenge, a journaling challenge, the list goes on.
It is easy for that once euphoric feeling of a fresh start to quickly fade away to feelings of anxiety and overwhelm as you pack a million and one things you want to do on your plate for the new year. New Year, Better Version of You, right?
Listen, I understand how it is. You've got a lot you want to do this year. You've set a lot of goals for yourself and signed up to take part in a challenge or two or maybe three. As an advocate for self-improvement, I applaud you for your willingness to invest in yourself. Trust me. I know exactly how you're feeling. I had 3 or 4 things lined up myself for the new year, and well, the new year came, and I realized that while my intentions were good, I was planning on taking on too much at once.
After the holidays, life goes back to normal. You are back at work, or school, or both, and the time you thought you were going to have to do all those things isn't available like you thought. You’re feeling bummed and already behind, and it’s only January 8th.
I am here to tell you, Don’t be in a hurry.
You’ve got 365 days to accomplish all the things you want to do. It is better to focus on one thing rather than split your focus over several different things.
Here are six steps to help you move forward in 2020 with your goals and challenges without feeling like you are missing out.
1) Don’t beat yourself up: The first thing we tend to do it beat ourselves up. Not that we picked too many things at once but because we aren't superhero enough to do it all at once. Can I get an Amen?
2) Step back: Take a step back and make a list of everything that you want to do.
3) Make a choice: From your list, decide which one of those things you want to do first. This is where people get stuck. You’ve got so many choices. You want to do them all, and you’re not sure which one is the right one to pick. Guess what? There is no right or wrong answer. Pick the one that is most important to you right now, or will give you the most satisfaction, or one that is easy to accomplish and builds your confidence. It doesn’t matter. Just PICK ONE!
4) Make a plan: What do you need to do to accomplish this? Maybe it's a yoga challenge, and all you need to do is make room on your calendar each day and show up. Or perhaps it's a bit more complicated, and you need to write the steps to get you there and Get it scheduled!
5) Start taking steps: Whatever task you decide to take on, start taking steps to do it today. Take one small step today to get you where you want to go. Keep taking steps until you get there.
6) Pick the next thing: Once you've completed the first thing you wanted to do, pick another.
If you're struggling to make the next choice go back to #3.
2020 is going to be your best year yet. All you’ve got to do is stay focused and continue to take steps forward creating a life that means something to you on your terms.
Need some help getting started? I would love to help. Click here to a virtual coffee with me and get a strategy in place for 2020.